First published in 2009
“A particularly well drawn, charming romantic thriller.”
− The Times (London)
There are humans at the bottom of the garden, and a glimpse inside their forbidden House convinces the fierce young faery hunter known as Knife they have knowledge that could help her dying people.
But if the human world has so much to offer, why is the faery Queen determined to keep her people away from it? Is there a connection between the House and the faeries’ loss of magic? And why is Knife so drawn to the young Paul McCormick — that strangest of creatures, a human male?
“A satisfying story with engaging characters, human and fey.”
− Strange Horizons
- Longlisted, Carnegie Medal (2009)
- Honour Book, CLA Children’s Book of the Year Award (2010)
- Best Bets for Children, Ontario Library Association (2010)
- Winner, Concorde Book Award (2011)
- Shortlisted, Manitoba Young Readers Choice Award (2011)
- Shortlisted, Realm Makers Genre Awards (2016)